I have been away awhile, having vacationed down south in North Carolina. There's not a ton of squash down there, but there is a ton of religion. With that in mind, I was inspired to ascend the mountaintop and bring back the following list of musts for our international brotherhood of squash. Hark thee then:
- Always wear non-marking soles!
- Don't hog the hits in the warm-up!
- Try to play at your level 70% of the time; a notch below your level, in order to help out your brothers and sisters in squash, 15% of the time; and a notch above your level, in order to receive that help, 15% of the time!
- Never show anger on the court; if you do, apologize immediately!
- Always wear protective eyewear!
- Socialize a bit before or after the match; don't become so focused by sport that you lose your humanity!
- Play continuously; don't try to delay the next point by artificial means!
- Always shake hands after the match; emerge from the court not as bitter rivals but as friendly adversaries!
- Never forget that you are an ambassador for the sport!
10. Never shoot blind!